Sunday, March 2, 2008

February Purchases Overview


Yet another great month for my music collection:

Bob Mould - District Line: I really enjoyed this album and I'm not really sure why.  They say that when Bob Mould was in Husker Du, he and his band heavily influenced modern alternative music; I think there is truth to this because there is something very familiar about this album despite having never prior listened to Mould.

Matt Costa - Unfamiliar Faces: An enjoyable blend of 70s pop, modern indie, and a little folk.  Costa pulls it all together for a winning combination.

City and Colour - Bring Me Your Love: I can't believe I've enjoyed this album so much.  Previously I had entirely dismissed this solo project (I found the last album boring), but fortunately Dallas has grown a lot as a song writer since then.  It also doesn't hurt that I seem to be going through a folk-ish phase.

Gutter Demons - Room 209: Finally picked this up this modern psychobilly masterpiece after listening to it non-stop for a year.  I really want their first album as well but the label seems to have gone under and the band has completely sold out.  They say they'll have a new print sometime in the spring, so that will likely appear on another one of my lists in the coming months.

The Loved Ones - Build & Burn: I'd compare these guys to The Gaslight Anthem (although they've existed since before the band).  In this album the band really expands it's scope during the last half of the album by experimenting with other genres and sounds - and it pays off.

Zox - Line in the Sand: As my introduction to Zox, this album has really blown me away.  I'm typically skeptical of more pop influenced alternative bands, but something just clicked with me and Zox.  Although they're known for their electric violin, they're definitely not a gimmick band.

Tom Fun Orchestra - You Will Land With A Thud: Although I've only had this for a few days I can already tell it's a winner.  But then again, mix gruff vocals with an "Orchestra" of interesting instruments (banjos, fiddles, bells, trumpets, piano, mandolin, harmonica...) and i'm pretty much guaranteed to love it.  Sometimes they have a delightful southern rock sound, while at others they sound very celtic.

The Gaslight Anthem - The Senor and the Queen EP: Although it's only four songs long, they're all pretty great, and I wouldn't expect any less from one of my current top bands (although one song has some rod stewart lyrics in it, and it kinda gets on my nerves...).

The Sidekicks - So Long, Soggy Dog: Another gruff band.  Fairly middle of the road (although in a good way), but this is their first album and the band members all pretty young (under twenty), so I'm expecting these guys to only get better in the years to come - an excellent first try though.

No comments: